In the late 19th century, a young boy was out walking in the fields where the crops where planted. On the left side of the path there was regular soil with mature wood ashes, rotted leaves and plants (compost) as normal. On the right side was added new chemical fertilizer. Said to do much better, grow faster and more abundant. As the boy looked closer he noticed many earth worms moving from the chemical filled soil over to the natural soil.
He always remembered this and used it when he was older to form his therapy that would heal hundreds of people from TB and emerging cancers. His name is Dr Max Gerson. This story is found in the book “Healing the Hopeless“. It is not well known, as he began to heal people from cancer the government saw to it that it did not get any attention.
We obviously see that these chemicals were hurting the insects. They needed their natural environment to survive. The soil had become TOXIC AND DEFICIENTfor their needs. Why would it be any different for humans? But do we really care? We have become addicted to “food” and we are not able to see that our bodies are crying out for us to get clean by giving it what it needs to be healthy!
Our environment continues to change because of our growing industry causing pollution and toxicity. Our air, water and soil are being killed. If they survive, they will be extremely deficient in nutrients and covered in synthetic chemicals. Out of this environment comes our food..
If that isn’t bad enough, we then modify, refine and process our food to fit our convenience, cost, profit and accessibility.
So how do we be healthy in such a Toxic, Deficient and Sick world?
A healthy body begins with the human Cell.
The cell is the building block and foundation of our body. If the foundation is not solid than eventually what is on top will come down. Our body is made up of over 100 trillion cells! These cells form tissues, that form organs and organs that form organ systems. Thus making the human body.
There are many different types of cells that do many different things to meet our needs, and that sustain life every second of every day. Each cell must be fed properly to be able to do its job well. The problem in our culture is that we do not give our cells what they need and the result is that they become TOXIC and DEFICIENT. This results in sickness and disease. What does the cell need to be healthy and therefore produce a healthy body? I believe it lies in 5 areas.
1. Our cells need real food.
Anything we eat goes to our cells and either helps them perform their roles or harms and hinders them. From the mouth down into digestion, food is broken down (metabolized) into –
- Amino acids
The cell needs ALL of these to function properly. (To maintain health)
If we cook to much of our food or have a diet based upon processed food and sugar than the cell does not get what it needs therefore, it is deficient and disease grows. These foods are not what our body is made to have. Our cells need real food. Focus on consistently eating plenty of fresh vegetables, fruit and drinking lots of water!
2. Our cells need exercise.
It is said now that sitting is just as deadly as smoking… Our body needs to be moving! Our cells need exercise! Remember cells make our organs. The brain, heart and lungs all need exercise to keep our organs/organ systems working efficiently.
- keep our blood flowing.
- balance our hormones and chemical makeup.
- improve mental outlook.
- control our weight.
- reduce heart disease.
- strengthen our muscles and joints to prevent injury and pain.
People who don’t find time to exercise sooner or later will have to find time for illness.- 15th Earl of Derby
3. Our cells need a healthy environment to live in.
This includes 2 main areas.
1. Clean fresh Air. 21% of the air we breath is oxygen. If the air is polluted then our cells become deficient and unable to perform their roles. It will also make them toxic. Because the percentage of oxygen that actually reaches our cells is low, the quality needs to be good. Some practical ways are:
- Staying away from smoking.
- Most of our time is spent indoors therefore, a good Air-purifier system is much-needed.
- Open the windows often. (if at all possible)
- Get outside in the fresh air!
- Indoor plants are great air purifiers that get rid of toxins.
2. Clean fresh water. 70% of our body is made up of water! The body needs it for absorption and utilization of nutrients. Also elimination of waste. Water takes vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbs from food and delivers them to where they need to go. It helps keep our muscles and joints working smoothly. It keeps our body at the right temperature. All these among many other things.
The best way to get clean fresh water is to get a good water purifier/filter for our water sources at home. We must try to drink as much as possible! Our body will tell us when we need more..
Often we need more water…
- First thing in the morning. This helps the elimination process of toxins the body has been working at cleaning out all night while we slept and to fuel our cells up again.
- Often we experience – Headaches, dry mouth and skin, constipation and drowsiness to name a few..
- When we have been drinking lots of coffee, pop or alcohol. These can take water from our cells.
- When we eat a lot of sugar and processed or refined foods. Sugar eats up water in our cells and makes them dehydrated.
4. Our cells need to be protected.
Our cells are being attacked everyday from microscopic organisms. Without protection, pathogens (harmful bacteria, viruses, etc..) will start to kill our healthy cells and cause sickness. That is why we have an immune system to fight for us.
Our front lines of defence for our immune system are –
- Our skin
- Mucus membranes
- White blood cells
Between these 3, they act together in preventing pathogens from entering the body and they hunt the ones down that may have come in. If we do not get good nutrition than the defenses will be down and we will get sick very easily.
We need lots of –
- Fruit and fiber.
- Whole grains and whole raw food
- Less stress.*Extra amounts of the above during stressful times.
5. Lastly, we need to be mentally okay for our cells to work together properly.
It is becoming more and more well-known that what we think and how we feel mentally has a huge role in the health of our body. Stress, anxiety and depression are killing people today. More and more research is showing that what we put into our body if affecting our mental attitude(if we even need research to prove what we already know..). Our “mental health” will harm or help our bodies cells just as much as the previous 4 points. This has a lot to do with our nervous system and the “fight or flight” response given in stress. This response, for example, is what triggers our body to run from danger or to relax and sleep at night. However, most of us run only on stress and forget to relax. Mental stress depletes us of much-needed nutrients that we are usually deficient in to begin with.. You can see how detrimental it can be to our organs and cells. I believe stress is the biggest reason for heart disease, which is one of the top killers in North America. The cardiac care floors in the hospital are full around christmas and new years every year. We always seem to be going and we need to slow down. We need to rest. Relax. Enjoy the time we have because it is short. We are never satisfied, always looking for the next thing.
There is healing. There is hope.
Most of all and most important. We need to know our Creator. The Bible says in Romans 1, that we all know God but have turned away from him to do what we want to do. Let me tell you that you can do yoga or any spiritual exercise and it will not give you peace. You can have all the entertainment and luxury the world has to offer but you still will not have peace. There are many ways this world tells us to get fulfillment, but God our Creator says that there is one way to have peace, and that is through Jesus, Gods Son. John 14:6.
And this is the way to have eternal life- to know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one You sent to earth. – John 17:3
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. – Romans 5:1
Our body needs cells that are healthy to sustain life and prevent illness. If not we become Toxic and Deficient in what our body needs to remain healthy. We achieve this through our cells receiving —
- Healthy REAL food.
- Lots of movement and exercise.
- A clean environment.
- A strong defense system.
- And to be Mentally healthy.
These 5 points all point to a lifestyle. Its our choice to live it out. And that is what re-think-health is about. Our health depends on what we do with our body everyday.
“What we do with our body and what we put in it will either harm it or heal it”.
Choose to maintain a healthy body so we may glorify God with the time we have on this earth.