There is a lot of information out there… It seems to always change… So how do we actually know what is good for us and what isn’t? What supplements should you take, if any at all?
In this article I want to bring some clarity and a simple answer to this question about supplementing. We will look at…
- Why Should I take a supplement?
- There are so many! Which ones do we take?
- What do I look for when buying a supplement?
A supplement is: Something that completes or enhances something else when added to it.
You want to add to what you eat not replace what you eat.
Why should I take a supplement?
Research shows that adults, and now even children, have at least 1 nutrient deficiency, and most likely more. Even if you eat a large amount of calories and a wide variety of foods, you still can be deficient.
I believe you need to supplement your diet. The people most likely to be deficient in what their body needs for staying healthy is:
- The elderly.
- Those eating a lot of sugar.
- Eating a lot of processed foods.
- Having a restrictive diet.
- People under stress.
- Those taking drugs, and pharmaceutical drugs.
- Pregnant women…
Symptoms that show a deficiency?
- Any chronic disease or sickness.
- Inflammation and muscle/join pain.
- Headaches and “brain fog”.
- Bloating, constipation, diarrhea.
- Skin breakouts.
- Poor sleep.
- Lack of energy and seeming tired all the time.
You are deficient in what your body needs to keep you going each day. It starts in your cells… If your cells do not have what they need, then your tissues don’t have what they need… If your tissues don’t have what they need, then your organs and finally your organ systems will not have what they need to work properly and stay healthy. Symptoms appear and illness and disease may grow.
But why can’t I just eat food and get what my body needs?
That would be great IF you could. I believe it is mostly impossible today throughout the majority of the year. Why?
- You just DO NOT EAT nutritious food. You don’t and you won’t… A few pieces of broccoli or fruit on the side of your very generous portion of processed meat and potatoes does not make the cut.
- The food we eat today is not good quality like it used to be. It either is processed or brought to us from across the world. By the time it gets here it has almost lost its nutritional value. For more on what are food is today see⇒ Here.
- Through the winter we are very deficient because of the lack of fresh produce and sunlight etc…
There are so many… Which do I take?
Narrow it down to 4 Key Supplements that you should take
These are billions of good, live bacteria that protect the lining of your gut and keep it running the way it should. Around 80% of your immune system lies in the gut. Everything flows in and out of our bowels.
If they are not healthy then sickness will grow and spread. Having probiotics are KEY especially in times where clean – good quality produce is not available.
→ Look for a natural probiotic that has at least a daily amount of 10 Billion + Bacteria with the families of:
Vitamins A to E…
Vitamins have hundreds of jobs in the body.
- They can help your immune system to fight off harmful pathogens.
- They allow nutrients to be easily absorbed.
- Vitamin C is full of antioxidants that can protect you from illness among many other things…
- Vitamin A-C-E can keep your skin, hair, nails and eyes healthy…
- B vitamins can help with cellular growth, repair and producing energy. Also can help with stress.
Vitamin C is very popular today but I want to bring attention specifically to Vitamin D.
It has helped me a lot, especially in the winter! For example: I noticed it helped me with reducing stress, feeling good, having more energy and preventing colds. We do not get enough and many of us are very deficient.
This is said to be linked to why we have such a hard time with the cold/flu season during the winter and not during the warmer months. We are more deficient because we are not outside in the sun. To name a few other things it can help with:
- It supports the immune system and hormonal balance.
- Digestive health.
- Bone health.
- It is needed for optimal brain function.
Because of how it has helped me, I would recommend vitamin C and D the most for those of us who live up north…
→ I find that it works best in oil form. Here you can put a drop or two on your tongue and its quickly and easily absorbed. Children love to do it! It usually has no other ingredients unlike a gummy that probably has added sugar and flavours.
Minerals are needed for every bodily function. For example: Calcium, Sodium and Potassium are needed to keep your muscles working, especially to keep the heart pumping in a good rhythm. They clean, nourish and add to your cells. You cannot live without them.
If you are often sick, in pain, weak, tired, and on a lot of medications, etc… It could be quite possible that you have a deficiency in a vitamin or mineral.
→ You can find a good mineral supplement in a natural plant/vegetable greens superfood mix.
Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3-6)
Fatty acids are indeed “essential”. I believe the main thing to highlight here is that they fight inflammation. Inflammation is the response the body gives when it is under attack or injured, also when there is a deficiency. Guarding against inflammation can help tremendously with:
- Keeping your immune system strong.
- Protecting your joints, brain, and heart health.
Inflammation is associated with arthritis, infections, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and many other common conditions.
→ Look for a natural supplement that uses nut and seed oil. It is good to have Nuts like almonds – walnuts. Seeds like flax – sesame – sunflower and even olive oil.
What to look for in supplements?
- Supplements need to be made from NATURAL – RAW – WHOLE – FOOD. Produce that has been harvested in a part of the world that has the best environment for the particular food. They are often juiced or pressed and dried to be preserved in a powder form. Also they can be pressed into an oil form… Then they can be ceiled and shipped to us! This technology is great.
- Look for a stamp of approval or certification.
- Never buy a supplement that you are not sure of. Be careful because there are lots of supplements that use synthetic ingredients. Find out whether it is a reputable company, with many years in business – consistent growth – and lots of research and testimonies available. Check out the company I trust.
Our climate and culture has left the majority of us deficient in what our bodies cells need for every day health and wellness… We can improve this greatly by the food we eat and the lifestyle we live!
However, often times it may be hard to get your daily nutritional needs. If you are sick you definitely need a boost.
Natural Supplements are a quick and easy way to give our body a daily boost of what it needs! My top supplements are:
- Vitamin C and D.
- A greens superfood mix for our minerals.
- Essential Fatty Acids
Please contact me if you would like any specific guidance on what brand of supplements that my family has found helpful! *You can also visit our supplement page here.
Question for you…
Do you supplement? If so, what supplement have you found most helpful for your family?
I hope this has helped sort out any questions you may have about supplementing!
If you have any questions please comment below! Share with anyone whom you think may find this helpful!